Friday, March 18, 2005
 
A new perspective..
Let's see, so I teach at an elementary school in innercity Los Angeles. One of the brothers of my student Carol was killed in a drive-by last week. I wanted to attend the funeral, as I had Carol as well as another brother of hers. The drive by was thought to be gang related, when I arrived at the funeral, I was greeted by several sunglass wearing, shaved head gang looking guys. Of course, I try to give them the benefit of the doubt, however when they turned around and I saw the huge gang tattoos on the back of their heads it was very clear that they were gang members. I must say, standing there for an hour long Catholic funeral mass given in Spanish while big gang members are standing all around you (being one of two white people there) gives the whole funeral a new perspective.

Powered by Blogger

Google